A lot of schools are understanding the importance of yoga and the increased concentration amongst their students. Therefore, performing better on tests, etc.
In our kids classes, we start with an introduction to get the kids comfortable with the group and their teacher. We then work on breathing exercises to calm the kids. From there we begin the asana, poses, where they can use their imagination and create poses as well. We read a story and discuss things we should do and not do (Niyamas and Yamas from the 8 Limbs of Yoga). And then we use our imagination to go to a happy place where we can relax and be free!
But there are SO many more benefits than just concentration.
- Concentration is increased because through yoga they learn to be in the present moment.
- Coping mechanisms are developed through the power of breath. By learning to breathe through situations they are able to decrease anxiety.
- Decrease anxiety.
- Create a calming mood.
- Decrease stress.
- Through breathing, and moving their body, little yogis learn body awareness ("this is what it feels like when I reach my hands to my toes- I feel a stretch in my back and down the backs of my legs").
- Learning body awareness helps to promote a positive self-image.
- Increased mental awareness is developed my slowing down the mind and ...
- Learning to focus on one thing at a time.
- Kids Yoga classes help create a non-competitive group of children that want to help one another and empower one another.
- The kids get to use their imagination throughout the class, promoting more awareness as well as strengthening their creative abilities.
- Imagination exercises are great tools for recreating and remodeling their world and life.